Bangladesh is one of the developing countries in the world with close to 36% of the people living below poverty line. Those just above It, finds it tough to make their ends meet. In such an appalling situation health and education take a back seat. This has resulted in Bangladesh being at the bottom of the table when it comes to most of the indexes relating to education, health and family welfare. The need of the hour is active participation of people to deal with this social menace at the national level.
Touching Souls International a New York based non-profit organization is actively working on health, education and welfare projects to bring in change in the society. The charity organization has been working for the last 25 years in some of the most backward regions of Bangladesh. The organization which has been completely family run for most parts of its journey. The nonprofit organization’s mission has been to target the root cause of the social and health problems in the country.
Programs Run By Touching Souls International
- Conducting free health camps in the remote areas of Bangladesh which have little or no access to health care facilities. In these camps surgeries related to cataract removal, cleft lip, club foot and artificial limbs are conducted free of cost for patients. The non-profit organization also offers assistance in transporting patients to and from their villages and provides post-operative care to the patients.
- Funding palliative care for people with untreatable diseases and ailments who usually have a miserable life. Touching Souls International also conducts training for doctors in palliative care as this a modern branch of medicine unknown to most of the rural doctors.
- It supports the cause of education among the poor and the underprivileged. Meritorious students from grade 5 to 10 who are unable to pay their fees due to poverty or those who have become orphans are supported under this program. Each year 60 to 120 students benefit from this scheme.
- The nonprofit organization supports 2 schools. One in the backward village where 225 village kids getting education up to high school level. The second one is for 130 slum kids up to 6th grade.
- Touching Souls International offers journalism fellowship to three journalists in each year who do research on issues relating to environment and pollution of water bodies in the country. It also runs arsenic awareness programs as the problem is threatening the existence of the nation with close to 80 million people falling in the dangerous territory of arsenic related poisoning.
- The nonprofit organization offers monthly allowance to elderly and needy individuals who are disable and cannot earn a living themselves. It also offers financial aid to patients who are desperately ill for their life-changing & life-saving medical procedures.
- Touching Souls International provides mother care and child care in a hospital setting for 5 days in week with medical assistance of Gynecological surgeon and consultants during and prior to their delivery. These mothers and their new-born children are provided with aid and checkup under the family welfare programs.
- Touching Souls Internal provides the support for paralyzed and disabled in a 80 bed hospital, Nurture Hospital for Paralyzed and Disabled.