Bangladesh is one of the developing countries in the world with dismal records in health, education and family welfare. The problem is further complicated by the fast rate of population growth in the country with very little infrastructure to support it. A vast majority of people in the country have little access to proper health care facilities, elementary education and things like safe drinking water.
New York based charity organization Touching Souls International has been working relentlessly to bring about a change in the lives of the people. Touching Souls International which started as a family run charity organization has been supported by a few philanthropists in the last two years. This has helped bringing about a hope in the lives of thousands of people.
Major Projects Run by Touching Souls International
- Sight Restoration & Blindness Prevention Project – Blindness due to cataract is affecting millions of people in Bangladesh. In its aim to eradicate curable blindness in the country, Touching Souls International conducts regular eye camps in the rural areas of the country and selects people for cataract removal surgeries with lens implant which are conducted free of cost. Poor patients are also given glasses after the surgery. The blindness prevention project works in collaboration with Bangladesh National Blind Society, Mymensingh.
- Cleft-Lip Project – Thousands of children are born in Bangladesh with the problem of cleft-lip and cleft-pallet. This creates difficulties in eating and speaking properly and in most cases patients have to face an isolated life filled with pain and shame for not being socially acceptable. Touching Souls International conducts free cleft-lip and cleft- pallet surgeries for economically disadvantaged people and gives them new hope in life.
- Palliative Care Initiative – In Bangladesh there is very little infrastructure for providing palliative care to terminally-ill, incurably-ill and chronically bed-ridden (TI-II-CB) people. This is a new branch of medicine with very few doctors and nurses trained in it. Touching Souls International in association with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University is providing training to doctors and nurses in palliative care.
- Scholarship Program – Many meritorious students in the country have to leave school owing to poverty. Touching Souls International, Inc. provides scholarships to students who are in grades 5 to 10 to help pay for their education. Students are selected under this program based on their merit. This program is aimed to support orphans and the poorest of the poor in the society.
- Journalism Fellowship – Environmental pollution and high amounts of arsenic in drinking water has become major causes of concern in Bangladesh. Touching Souls International is providing fellowships for water forum journalists that provide the best research work on the environment. Journalists who are engaged in investigative reporting on the causes or pollution and their concerns are encouraged under this program.
- The school for the slum kids is a part of Touching Souls International’s larger initiative to transform the society through education. It is also running another school for the village children of Banail in the district of Kishoregong. In this school 225 village kids are getting education up to High School level.
- Touching Souls International in collaboration with Nurture General Hospital carries out 12 surgical operations per months for hysterectomy, hydrosil, hernia, piles and tumor by hired Surgeons & Anesthetists at Nurture’s operation theater. Nurture General Hospital also provides paramedics and free beds for these surgeries. This has been a saving grace for many slum dwellers who cannot afford such surgeries due to poverty.