One of the biggest problems that loom over the planners of Bangladesh is the high levels of arsenic contamination in drinking water. The alarming level of arsenic contamination in this country where most people depend on ground water for drinking is threatening the health of the country. It is estimated that of 160 million people in the country 85 million to 100 million people in 50 districts of Bangladesh are affected by arsenic contamination in drinking water.
One out of every three tube wells in Bangladesh is contaminated with high levels of Arsenic where the amount of arsenic exceeds 50 ppb (parts per billion). In some places it has found to be 2000 ppb resulting huge number of deaths due to arsenic poisoning. Philanthropy of Touching Souls International a New York based nonprofit organization is to raise awareness about arsenic contamination among the masses in some of the most backward regions of Bangladesh.
The nonprofit organization, Touching Souls International is taking active steps to tackle the problem at the grassroots level by raising awareness about contamination among the people most affected by it. Volunteers have taken this awareness campaign to far and wide regions of Bangladesh.
Awareness Program Includes:
- Distributing leaflets and CDs in schools, colleges and market places raising awareness about arsenic in drinking water among people in the rural areas. Areas with high contamination of arsenic come first in the list of action plan.
- Making people aware of not fetching water from the hand pumps which have been marked red indicating high levels of arsenic contamination.
- Educating people on the myths that surrounding arsenic poisoning. Most of the victims are denied proper medical care due to the fear that arsenic poisoning being contagious. Making people aware that boiling doesn’t do away with arsenic in water.
- The nonprofit organization also supports people who are in a great risk of drinking water contaminated with high level of arsenic. People are encouraged to fetch water from rivers, ponds, well and also harvest rain water which is free of arsenic contamination.
- Teaching bucket treatment which is one of the best ways of getting rid of low levels of arsenic and other pollutants present in water. Touching Souls International also chalks out a diet to counter arsenic poisoning. Food items rich in protein and vegetables from cabbage family are known to act against arsenic poisoning.
Every year Touching Souls International provides fellowship to three journalists who work in environmental issues concerning water pollution and arsenic contamination.
The philanthropy of the nonprofit organization, Touching Souls International have yielded great results in raising awareness about arsenic contamination in ground water. In some of the worst effected parts of Bangladesh people has started taking safety precautions to prevent arsenic poisoning and also treat patients suffering from the effects of arsenic contamination. Touching Souls International’s aim is to raise country wide awareness about arsenic in Bangladesh and save the people from this catastrophe which threatens entire Bangladesh..