Bangladesh is a developing country in the world that has around 36 % of people below poverty line and those just above it find it hard to make their ends meet. In such a situation health and education issues have taken a back seat. This has led the country to be in the bottom line in areas of education, health and family welfare. The urgent need is active participation of people to deal with this social menace.
Touching Souls International is a New York based nonprofit organization which actively works on health, education and environment welfare projects for the economically backward people of Bangladesh.
The Health and Education support programs conducted by Touching Souls International:
- This Nonprofit organization conducts free health camps, cataract surgery, cleft -lip surgery and club foot surgery in rural and backward areas of Bangladesh which have very little or no access to any facilities. In these camps what exactly is done is that patients are examined, screened and transported by bus to and from villages to their specified hospitals and get their surgeries done free of cost. It is ensured that the patients stay in the hospital for next two days and their accompanying attendants are educated on the dos and the don’ts at home for the success of the surgery. Apart from this they also provide post-operative care and checkups to make the surgeries successful.
- Touching Souls International is funding palliative care for people with untreatable diseases who can’t afford to go for the treatment themselves or live a miserable life. This non-profit organization also conducts training programs for doctors and nurses in palliative and rehabilitation care as this kind of treatments are unknown to rural doctors.
- Touching Souls International runs family welfare programs on maternal health and child health in which they provide mother and child care in a hospital for at least 5 days in a week with medical assistance from Gynecological consultants and surgeons during and prior to delivery. The mother and newborn are provided with medicines, checkups and post-delivery care.
- This organization supports two schools. One in a slum, where 130 kids are getting education up to 6th grade and one in a village, providing education to 225 kids up to high school level. Meritorious students from grade 5 to 10 who are poor or orphan are offered scholarships. Every year 60 to 120 students benefit from this program.
- Touching Souls International provides journalism fellowship to three journalists every year who do research on the nation’s environmental conditions, pollution of water bodies in Bangladesh. They run arsenic poisoning awareness programs as it is a dangerous issue threatening lives of 80 million people of the country.
- This organization offers monthly allowance to aged and needy people who are disabled and cannot earn themselves for their livelihood. They offer financial help to ill patients who need to undergo lifesaving medical procedures. This organization provides treatment and support to poor, needy, paralyzed and disabled patients in an 80 bed hospital known as ‘ Nurture Hospital for paralyzed and Disabled’.